Monday, January 21, 2008

My lineage and my family

Let me introduce myself to you.....I am Mofid-Ur Rahman....my grandpa gave me this name which in arabic means "The best".......(You must be laughing isn't it?)

Let me tell you about my lineage,my grandpa, who belonged to Namti Chariali in Sivasagar district, Assam was a Army Doctor with the Pre independent British Army and is a World War II Veteran. After independence he worked as a Public Health Officer in Golaghat. He then settled in Golaghat by constructing our ancestral home in 1960.

My dad was the second of the 5 brothers after the first elder daughter, Merry. Dad's elder and the Youngest brother are no more now.

My dad did his BSc from JB College, Jorhat{He and present Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi were mates for their teas and the only ones who went to college in pyjamas during those days :-) ......dad don't like me now when i criticize anything about Tarun Gogoi ministry:-)}. He got selected to join GMCH for his Medical education but because of financial crunch he backed out so that his younger brother could join Prince of Wales Institute, jorhat that year.Next year, he joined Assam Textile Institute, Guwahati to complete his diploma in textile engineering and was recruited in Assam Spun Silk Mills Ltd. He joined Assam Spun Silk Mills Ltd in Jagiroad in 1960 as a foreman when it was launched and Retired in 1994 as Senior Production Manager.A man of few words, the values I have learnt from him are --
Honesty, dedication to work, puctuality and accountability.

His workshift would start from 6 am and he used to be ready by 5am to go to office.His subordinates used to fear him and I thought he must by hated by all for making them work so hard. I got it wrong when I saw him in his retirement meeting getting showered with 54 gamochas (assamese handwoven towel given to people in respect) from all most all the sections and individuals. A very religious man, he made us belive in simplicity and high thinking. His words to my sis when she was about to go with brother in law after marriage was, "happiness and contentment comes when you have won over greed.always think of the lesser previledged one and you can have contentment.If you do your job properly, success will surely be yours, may be late but it would surely come to you.

My Mom belongs to Titabor in Assam and was the perfect teacher who never taught in a school. She is the one due to whom me and my sis received LP and M.E. scholarships during our school days and I can write a bit of english without much of grammatical mistakes.She had a database much before Google or MSN search engines came to operation......Her diary contains all the medicines with its usage, death/ birth/ marriage anniversary dates, recipes, religious hymns and what not.She is acclaimed as a great cook by whoever had the priviledge of eating her cooked foods....(Except me offcourse !!)....I don't know why we two have never been in the same wavelength till now.....the similarity is we two dont know what the other wants !!

My Sister Jebin Baa is B.Sc, B.Ed. She is 4 and 11 months elder than me and treats it like that way only...........showering advices at the simplest instance when i look or act foolish. She hates my hairs which I have kept even though I myself dont know why my hair shaped up that way.....
She got married to my Brother-in-Law, Abdullah Manna, Executive Engineer, ONGC Godavari Asset in 1997. Bhinty is the eldest son of Ex-CM and Present Rajya Sabha MP, Syeda Anuwara Taimur's brother-in-Law.Sis has 2 kids ---Aquib, 6yrs old(my carbon copy in terms of looks and naughtiness) and Azeem, 3 months old. Baa lives in Lahdoigarh, Jorhat, Assam and Vinty keeps on shuttling from Kaikaluru in Andhra pradesh and Lahdoigarh, Assam after each 14 days.Luckily his flight is from Hyderabad and i keep on meeting him at the airport nearly on most of the occasions.Like my eldest uncle, he too is a deeply intellectual kind of personality with a very keen attention to detail and punctuality which make my stay with them a bit awkward.However, as Son-in-Law or as a brother- in-law, he has been a great support and I hope I too can be like him in future.

My elder aunt was married to Late Dr. N Ahmed. She has five daughters, Nilufar, Lucifer, Sikifar, Junifer and Jenifer and one son Zahid.Bonnie(Air hostess at JetAirways, wife of DJ Dhruv) , Saiba (Sales Manager at Tommy Hilfiger), Kuchi (Accenture), Murad, Sabir, Iyaz, Rizwan, Saad are my cousins.

My fathers elder brother, Nekibuz Zaman was an officer in Sericulture dept when he died.Hadid (working with Gammon India) and Sabina ( wife of Arif Ahmed, Airtel distributor for Sivasagar and Jorhat) are my cousins.

My father's two younger brothers worked in ASEB. Elder one, Rafiqur Rahman took voluntary retirement as Excutive Engineer(Electricals). younger one, Mukibur Rahman retired as Head Accountant.Farahnaz is my cousin.

Youngest brother Mobid died at a tender age. He was a very popular among the locality and his tales are still being told by people of his same generation.

My grandma was a very popular lady before she died at the age of 89. It was she who had groomed all of her sons as well as grandchildren. a very brave lady who will not fear to see if any thief has come with a bare lantern, she used to take care of her body so well that it was a routine to see her take her tablets, bath almost at the same time each day with clockwork precision.She used to bath with Pears soap and would keep herself fresh with Nivea and vaseline creams.Her smiles, her rebukes whenever a visitor comes after a long gap are still fresh in peoples mind. As she was the first one in Jorhat to wear specks, she was dearly called as Sasmawali Maijoni (pehiti,Mahiti, jethaiti etc).In fact it was she who had groomed me into styling well with dresses and meeting people.Actor and director, Taufiq Rahman is her brother's son.